The Lord replied, "I will personally go with you...and I will give you rest--everything will be fine for you." Exodus 33:14

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

The Beginning

We're going to homeschool two-thirds of our children.

For some of you that's explanation enough for the title of this blog. Me too.

You see, I love my kids AND my solitude. I love teaching my kids AND teaching the adults I work with. I love the school my kids have attended.

For me this is a step of wild obedience. To some that may sound like a wild overstatement. It's not.

Sometimes the obedience required of us is huge but happens quietly and goes unnoticed except by the angels. Some obedience is public and risks censure.

The reaction to this news has been quite varied: incredulous, angry, curious, skeptical, respectful, laughing, defensive, wondering...all from people I care about and whom I truly believe care about me.

Those who have walked closest to my heart through my parenting journey have responded very quietly, often with tears, but always along the lines of, "Wow." To know us well is to know that we wouldn't make this decision lightly. It is to know that we recognize the cost, but trust the One who is calling.

My nutshell philosophy on choosing a method of education is this: Our children are all unique. The plan for their lives is unique. Only God knows their future and specifically what is required to prepare them for that future. As parents, our job is to seek His leading (He wants to lead us!) and obey. Whatever choice we make, it feels like a risk and requires trust. I'm so thankful to live in a country where that freedom is recognized and supported by our government.

We do not believe that God says everyone should be homeschooled. We are not homeschooling because we want to keep our children "safe from the world". We're simply being wildly obedient.

If you choose to follow this blog, I hope you'll be encouraged--whether in your own homeschooling journey or in some other wild obedience. Hopefully, we'll laugh and cry together. And pray for each other. As one very dear elderly man said, "I'll pray for you. As you teach the children, God will be teaching you." I couldn't ask for a better blessing.


No comments:

Post a Comment